This Meme Seems Funny Until You Learn the Whole Story

It's hard to know exactly what makes some memes spread like wildfire (damn, Daniel!) while others flicker out unceremoniously. Most of the ones that gain traction poke fun at real people (see: ermahgerd girl or bad luck Brian) without much concern for their feelings.

Case in point: The LAD Bible shared side-by-side photos of actor Wentworth Miller, best known for his role on Fox’s Prison Break, with the caption: “When you break out of prison and find out about McDonald’s monopoly… ”

Wentworth Miller Meme In response, Miller published a moving open letter about how he had turned to food to help cope with depression and suicidal thoughts. Here's a quick snippet:

"In 2010, at the lowest point in my adult life, I was looking everywhere for relief/comfort/distraction. And I turned to food. It could have been anything. Drugs. Alcohol. Sex. But eating became the one thing I could look forward to. Count on to get me through. There were stretches when the highlight of my week was a favorite meal and a new episode of Top Chef. Sometimes that was enough. Had to be. And I put on weight. Big f--king deal."

The LAD Bible has since apologized, but it's still worth checking out Miller's full post.



from Greatist RSS http://ift.tt/1ToGBWr

No comments:

Post a Comment