Woman Once Called “Hunchback” Wins Photo Competition With Her Empowering Self-Portrait

Rebecca Dann, a photography student from the U.K., used to keep her hair long and wear baggy clothes to hide the abnormal curve in her spine, the result of a condition called kyphoscoliosis. Unfortunately, that didn't stop kids from calling her the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Now the 22-year-old has come to a point where she embraces her body, and a self-portrait Dann took that shows off her spine won first place in the World of Unfairness competition.

Rebecca Dann Photo: Rebecca Dann/Caters

The photo comes from a series Dann produced called "I'm Fine." She was inspired to shoot the revealing photos after a number of negative experiences with online dating. When she posted headshots (like the one below), she got dozens of matches:

Rebecca Dann One of Dann's cropped photos for a dating profile. Photo: Rebecca Dann / Caters News But anytime Dann started talking about her disability, guys ghosted her. So she decided to speak up and show what it's like to live as a person with a disability.

“I just wanted people to know that I am OK," Dann says. "I have my disability and that’s fine. You shouldn’t be afraid for me, you shouldn’t be scared to touch me. I won’t break.”

We're so inspired by these photos and hope they'll encourage other people to embrace their bodies.

Rebecca Dann Photo: Rebecca Dann Rebecca Dann Photo: Rebecca Dann

Rebecca Dann Photo: Rebecca Dann

(h/t news.com.au)



from Greatist RSS http://ift.tt/2fLT6hB

No comments:

Post a Comment